Sunday, January 1, 2017

Bout of Books 18

New Year's Day is one of my favorite holidays because everything resets.  Year-long reading challenges are fantastic when you are on pace to succeed: in the years when that has been the case, I've really enjoyed reading throughout the fall.  When I've gotten behind early, as I did in 2016, however, I feel a growing sense of failure that only goes away when the year ends and new challenge begins.

That's where I am today:  start of another year-long challenge that I plan to complete.  The Bout of Books 18 challenge is a great way to get some momentum at the start of the challenge.  It begins tonight at 12:01 am and runs for a week.

In past reading marathons, I haven't been able to stay up to start at 12:01--tonight, I think I'm ready to read right at the start before sleep overwhelms me.

I plan to complete a couple of books I received for Christmas:  Voices from Chernobyl and the much lighter Hockey Night Fever.  I'll keep reading Gareth Stedman Jones' Karl Marx:  Greatness and Illusion and probably some random books I pick up during the week.  One project I've set for myself this year is to read a novel or two from a specific 19th-century novelist each month:  January is George Eliot month, so I will probably begin Adam Bede this week as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment